sky machines: how is that spelled?

October 14, 2010

how is that spelled?

People here are usually really cheerful - the only time they scowl at me is when I tell them my name. Then they take a stab at saying it. Bruuuuk?  Breeek? Brugh? Bruoghk? Never the same pronunciation, never close to the real pronunciation. I was in complete shock when last week a teenage girl said she thought my name was beautiful. In French my name sounds like vomiting.

The closest until today was my French teacher, who mocks my by calling me "Brick!" whenever I say my name with an American accent.  But the 4th grade teacher at one of my schools says my name perfectly. And every time one of his colleagues shook my hand and repeated "Broouugh? Nice to meet you." he would yell "What the heck is wrong with you guys, it's pronounced Brooke, it's not that hard." It felt really good to hear someone say what I've been wanting to say for the last month.

The principal kept asking "Is that a popular name? It sounds familiar." and I kept assuring her that she had probably heard it because it was a pretty normal name. Then later, mid-sentence, she clapped and shouted "Wan Treel! That's what your name is from." When I said I hadn't heard of the show she accused me of not watching tv. Do most middle-aged French women watch One Tree Hill? I'll try to answer that question as the year goes on.

1 comment:

  1. haha...funny entry. I copied it and sent it to my cousin Brooke. She wants to go to France since her Dad goes there a lot on business.

    ReplyDelete

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.