sky machines: SOLIDARITÉ!

October 19, 2010

SOLIDARITÉ!

When you walk out of your apartment and see the city covered in smoke and red banners you know it's going to be a good day. Last Tuesday was going to be my first day of work, but school was closed for the national strike. I have little to nothing invested in the French retirement age, but I love a good manif so I joined in on the coolest protest/festival/party I have ever seen in my life.

Three fun facts:
1. There were like half a million people marching through the city.
2. Since school was canceled, there were tons of kids with adorable home-made signs.
3. There were really cool posters and political graffiti everywhere.



Everyone was singing awesome songs about revolution and solidarity and sticking it to the man, and there were free stickers and dancing and fireworks. At one point I got to a part of the march where I was right behind an announcer with a megaphone.

Announcer: You are tired!
Crowd: WE ARE TIRED!
Announcer: But you are unified!
Crowd: WE ARE UNIFIED!
Announcer: And now, you're going to set this city on fire!
Crowd: WE'LL SET IT ON FIRE!
Brooke: WE'LL MAKE MORE STICKERS AND DO SOME MORE DANCING!



At that point I got a little creeped out, and decided to call it a day.

3 comments:

  1. I'm super jalouse of your grève stickers. I'm hoping someday they pass out tshirts that say "j'suis allée à cette manif et tous ce que j'ai récu était ce tshirt nul"

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi! i'm also teaching english in france and i'm also from minneapolis! and guess what- i also hate nickels! what are the odds?

    your blog is funny- i laughed out loud. perhaps we can meet up sometime?

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.