sky machines: I am thankful I flipped through that French firearms handbook over the weekend.

November 22, 2010

I am thankful I flipped through that French firearms handbook over the weekend.

This week I'm bringing Thanksgiving to France.

Today my students wrote "I'm thankful for..." on a piece of paper and then drew pictures to complete the sentence. If they already knew a word in English they could label it, which is probably why all of them were thankful for cats. And then I helped translate their other favorite things.



One major, and mysterious, difference between French kids and American kids is that almost all of them were thankful for sheep. Also they wrote long lists of their family members with (deceased) written after the deceased ones. It was very sweet.

And then there were the things that were the same as American kids. "How do you say pistol? It's a semi-automatic." asked one adorable boy, pointing to the barrel of the weapon he was most grateful for. How do you say flames? Parachute? Tank? Half the class was thankful for tanks. Grapple gun? Spear? Machine gun? Assault rifle? Before you congratulate me on my French weapon vocabulary, let me clarify I was looking at very detailed drawings.

Besides the requests for the translation of zombies, Manga comics, Rhianna, hamsters, cherries, and crocodiles; every kid wanted to know how to spell my name.



Bless your hearts.

And thank goodness for tanks.

3 comments:

  1. Gaahhh, that is the cutest thing everrr. I had wanted to do this exercise on Thursday, but wasn't sure how it would go over. I hadn't thought of them drawing pictures to complete the sentence! Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should do it! It goes over better with some kids than others; if you have them brainstorm things they're thankful for before you hand out the paper that helps them not freak out about what to draw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just precious! Those kids must really love you--lucky them!

    ReplyDelete

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.