sky machines: must be Santa

December 9, 2010

must be Santa

It may be warm and sunny but it's still almost Christmas, and that means I've become obsessed with European Santa. As in "Wow Brooke, it's getting pretty late and you've been pestering me about Santa for two hours already..." "Yes but how does he get DOWN the chimney? And why doesn't he wear a hat? And you said he was Saint Nicholas but Saint Nicholas already CAME."

My friend told me that in Switzerland, Santa/St Nick/Father Christmas travels around with a donkey. In case a barnyard animal wasn't weird enough, I mistook the word "donkey" for the word "dwarf." In my defense the two sound very similar and I'd spent the whole day watching Lord of the Rings. Also I've already had five very factual conversations about the difference between dwarfs and gnomes and brownies. Magic is serious business here. Anyway, I had to know more about why a dwarf was involved.

Why does he bring the dwarf along, just for company? Or does he navigate?

   Company? He rides it, obviously.

Come again?

   Yeah, dwarves used to be a really common form of transportation in Switzerland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.