sky machines: look out world

January 31, 2011

look out world

There are 26 French children who know the English alphabet that didn't know it this morning. Please hold your applause.



26 genius children, 26 letters.
I wish I could say 26 was also the number of times some punk yelled "ZIZI!!!" after we said the letter Z.
But unfortunately that was more like 260.

I made an alphabet poster where each letter is colored with the color that shares a vowel sound.
A sounds like gray, Q sounds like blue, Z-- ("ZIZI!!!") ...thank you, sounds like green.

For a few minutes, R was a mess, because they didn't know any color that sounded like it (not the first time I've regretted omitting chartreuse from the color lesson.) But then one of my favorite weapon-obsessed seven-year-olds saved the day, by pointing out that R sounds like the French word for "firearm". Soon everyone was waving imaginary pistols in the air and yelling "AAARRRR!" I doubt any of them will ever forget that letter. Or be convinced that Americans aren't cowboys.

The gun-brandishing, the "I as in iPod!" and "K as in OK!" and the "ZIZI!!!" chorus - it was a pretty outrageous day. And at the end of it, there were 26 kids who knew the alphabet.

And now you can clap.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I love your poster! Will it be available in your shop? Maria (DK)

    ReplyDelete

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.