sky machines: oh hello

February 4, 2011

oh hello

Today I saw two women walking down the street. One of them was eating a sandwich, but I guess she wasn't hungry anymore, because she dropped it. She didn't throw it on the ground, she didn't accidentally drop it on the ground, just kind of carelessly released her grip, the way you would drop a seed into a garden or drop powdered sugar onto a pastry. Here sidewalk, take my sandwich. Then she lit a cigarette. It was so perfect that I thought to myself "I don't need to see anything else today. Nothing could be better than that."

But then at an outdoor café I saw a mailman walk up to a man and say "Hey, I've got a letter for you!" And I knew I really didn't need to see anything else today.

But then I was sitting on a bench, bracing myself against an outrageously strong wind, and I noticed a plastic grocery bag on the ground next to me, that took flight, and went about ten feet in the air. It came back down to eye level, hovered a moment, and then rose again, this time really soaring up, above the streetlamps and then above the buildings. Kites had nothing on this plastic bag. Birds had nothing on this plastic bag. Its handles floated behind it like two little plastic fins and it swam all around the courtyard above us.

Something about seeing a shopping bag so high was very off-putting, as though if there was a floating shopping bag there should be floating asparagus, floating baguette, and a floating half-gallon of milk. And now, I really don't need to see anything else today. Unless there's an airborne baguette somewhere. I would be interested in seeing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.