sky machines: French kids don't get fat

March 12, 2011

French kids don't get fat

When I applied to teach in France, I was required to send a list of previous teaching experience, time working with kids, and language instruction. What they should have asked for was an acting reel - maybe a stand up routine, or a scene from a silent film.

Today we sang a song about feelings. Each verse has a list of emotions, that I say and act out, and the class repeats. The repeating is fun, because they mimic me exactly. If I tuck my hair behind my hear between words, they tuck their hair behind their ears. If I accidentally shiver for the word "tired" then look embarrassed and somewhat frazzled and quickly yawn instead, I get to see that repeated by thirty children.

And there is always one kid who shouts out the French translation. This is fun because it helps the kids who may not understand, and mostly because it's hilarious when he's wrong. Like in the second verse of the song, which has four emotions:

Me: I'm happy! (point to my face, smiling)
Boy, in French: I'm happy!

Me: I'm good! (thumbs up)
Boy: I'm lonely!

Me: I'm great! (fists in the air)
Boy: I am POWERFUL!

Me: I'm fine (nodding contentedly)
Boy: I'm skinny!

You could argue that even if they don't understand the songs, at least they're getting good practice with English pronunciation. But their favorite English word in "the wheels on the bus" is the sound the windsheild wipers make: swish swish swish. So, at least they like English? And at least my acting is improving.

3 comments:

  1. You could write a book and people would buy it. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty much everything you write is something I wish I had written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys, that makes my day.

    ReplyDelete

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.