sky machines: Koalas are in season

October 31, 2012

Koalas are in season

When I was five, my family lived in Australia, which isn't important at all. What is important is that my mother purchased the most legendary sweater ever to grace that continent: an over-sized navy blue number soaked in white koalas. Here is a picture:

(Facebombed with my face to protect their privacy, and because it makes them look like energetic show dogs.)



Like any good sweater, the koala sweater has caused twenty years of emotional turmoil: at five I loved the softness and beauty of the koalas, at fifteen I pretended not to know her when she wore it in public, and at twenty five I have to convince her not to donate it on a daily basis. Never get rid of the koala sweater, Mom. I can't think of an article of clothing that better represents my mother, or the great country of Australia.

Imagine my shock and sheer joy when I saw this girl on the street the other day, and she said I could take her picture. (Face cropped because her face looked like an energetic show dog and it was creeping me out.)



THAT IS DEFINITELY THE SAME SWEATER.

The world is like one awesome Australian department store littered with marsupials. Just when you think you may have to go the entire day without seeing a stranger dressed in your mom's favorite sweater, a tender mercy like a sweater miracle comes along and proves you wrong. Thank you Mom, for teaching me that koalas will always come back in style.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent use of facebombing and mormon buzz phrase. I give it a 10!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my heck. This post is too good to be true. And I bet that stranger girl thought she owned a one-of-a-kind sweater! She must feel so disillusioned.

    ReplyDelete

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.