sky machines: I can run a mile faster than you can make pasta

July 16, 2013

I can run a mile faster than you can make pasta

After my half marathon this weekend I was so hungry I ate grapes without removing the grape-branch they came on, I just ate the entire bunch, grape-branch and all.

I'm telling you the end of the story first because I knew at the beginning of the race that I would finish. I sprained my ankle a few weeks and stopped running, and the most I ever ran was 7 miles but that was in May. So I told everyone I would just try it, and stop if it hurt, but I told myself "I will finish, I will die before I stop running and they will bury me at the finish line" and I meant it but I didn't say it out loud because no one likes hearing things like that. 



At every mile on the race there was a station with a team of people throwing us paper cups of the most delicious water on earth. And at every station there was always someone yelling "We've got GU! GU here!" Always answering questions no one was asking like "Do you have GU? Is there GU here?" and never answering the question "What is GU?"

Every mile we would run right past the the them but after 10 miles I started thinking, well maybe. I mean, they have the GU. When am I ever going to see GU again?

I went on their website just now to find out what I ingested. It's some sort of sport gel that tastes like frosting. The recommended usage is 15 minutes before and 45 minutes after exercise and my first thought was "Who would be running for more than 45 minutes?" Me! I would! I ran three times that. I did such a crazy thing.

I have sat through movies that felt years long, and that was the amount of time I was running. I can make pasta 10 times in the amount of time I was running. I can take the bus to work 7 times. I can recite the Brazilian national anthem 64 times and I don't know the Brazilian national anthem or even speak Portuguese. I can do anything now.

I feel like when people look at me, they can immediately tell that I ran 13 miles the other day because I look so incredibly refreshed and powerful and superhuman. But I tell them anyway, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.