sky machines: animal fact of the week: sloth bears need your help

August 23, 2010

animal fact of the week: sloth bears need your help

Good news faithful readers: Animal Fact of the Week is back! This week's animal is the sloth bear.

The sloth bear has a crazy name because for years no one could agree whether it was a sloth or a bear. Now I think we're fairly confident it's a bear? Whatever it is, it is awesome. The perfect combination of two great animals, the sloth bear is clumsy, can climb trees and swim, and carries its babies on its back.



The most famous sloth bear is Baloo, the bear in The Jungle Book. That was my favorite movie for a long time, because I wanted to be a monkey when I grew up. And Baloo was my favorite character because I liked his world view.





Almost everything from Jungle Book ended up being true about sloth bears. They suck bugs out of the ground just like Baloo does. In some countries they even dance like he does, because people trap them and pull out their teeth and force them to dance. It is the saddest thing I have ever seen. If you can think of anything to do to stop this let me know.



The only thing Jungle Book didn't mention is that sloth bears are incredibly violent, and they kill humans in the most gruesome way possible. Anyway, that's all about sloth bears for now - they are cute and they are abused but there aren't too many facts about them. Next week's animal will have some more engaging talents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.