sky machines: soaring out of the ocean, covered in seashells

August 25, 2010

soaring out of the ocean, covered in seashells

I spent a long time trying to think of a cool first sentence for this blog post, but it's really not so much cool as incredibly nerdy. I'm getting so stoked about doing Pèlerinage de Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle next year. It's a medieval pilgrimage to where St James is buried in Santiago de Compostela, in Spain.



In the middle ages the pilgrimage route was a huge deal, you would walk from your front door to the church in Spain and for some people the trip took months. Some pilgrims did it for fun and some did it to be forgiven for sins, which is fun too. But after the Black Plague everyone's schedules got a little crazy, and then television was invented and people were too busy with that (missing a couple years of history here). Anyway, now it's cool again, and you can walk on the same paths they took in the Middle Ages. I want to take the path that starts in Southern France and goes through Spain.



The Way of St James combines everything I like: hiking, France, and medieval history. I can't think of any better combination, unless there were animals, and there probably will be sheep so that's covered too. The whole time you get to see awesome mountains and castles like these:





And there are seashells like this one that mark the path.



No one can agree on what their historical symbolism is, but most stories involve someone drowning in the ocean and then soaring out of the water alive, covered in seashells. I love it.

Walking from Marseille area to Santiago de Compostela would take over a month, so I'm going to do an abbreviated trip probably. But I am so excited. If you're going to be in France, you should come with me. If you're not going to be in France you should be. France is the place to be right now.

7 comments:

  1. Je suis tout à fait d'accord, ce serait un voyage formidable. En fait, j'ai deux amis qui viennent de faire la partie entre Barcelone et Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle à pied (ils ont mis 3-4 semaines pour la faire). La ville où je serai assistant d'anglais cette année, Aire-sur-l'Adour, se trouve également sur un des nombreux chemins de pèlerinage. Mais, comme tu dis, c'est un long voyage. Ça serait de la tricherie de le faire à vélo?

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  2. Je pense que les velos sont une idée géniale. Je suis jalouse que tu seras à Aire-sur-lAdour - elle semble d’être très cool. Tes amis ont aimé le pèlerinage? Désolé que mon français est si mal - octobre sera un cauchemar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ils l'ont aimé beaucoup, en plus ils étaient là-bas pendant la coupe du monde, donc évidemment c'était un moment passionnant pour le pays...

    Yep, October will be a shock, my French needs a lot of work too. But that's the whole point I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A student from my school actually did that whole thing as part of an independent research grant a few years ago! I wish I was a hiker extraordinaire so I could join you, but I'm pretty sure I would add an extra week or two to your pelorinage. But I can't wait to read about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, I've been to Santiago de Compostela and it is incredible! Watch out for the bagpipes guy, the crepe restaurant, and the crazy Moses actor. If you do the whole pilgrimage you get to stay in the fancy hotel next to the cathedral for free!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend just gave a long lecture on a medieval statue of Saint James and this pilgrimage- thats so cool that you are actually doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, this is something I wanna do too! You don't know me, but I'd totally do this with you.

    ReplyDelete

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.