sky machines: I'll eat you up

November 18, 2010

I'll eat you up

All of my kids were wild things today. In every class they were jumping out of their seats and saying "sex" instead of "six" and whispering to each other. So instead of playing games or singing songs we spent the whole day silently copying down vocabulary words into their English notebooks.

If you haven't played Diner Dash on the iPhone you should, but for now I will explain it to you. You run around a restaurant taking customers' orders - when they want your attention they'll raise their hand, and if you're not fast enough they'll storm out.



On super-hard levels you have everyone in the restaurant raising their hand at the same time. Welcome to my classes today. At any given moment there were twenty kids staring at me with big eyes and raised fingers while I ran around frantically trying to answer every question. Questions like these:

"I just wrote an M but it's an ugly M."
"I want to white out this line and start over, is that ok?"
"I can't write the letter H."
"I'd like to write in cursive but the teacher would get mad, will YOU get mad if I write in cursive?"
"I can't write the letter Y."
"Did I do a good job?"
"I can't write in a straight line."
"Did I do a good job?"
"Did I do a good job?"
"My six looks like a five, I'm sorry."
"I can't write the letter S."
"Did I do a good job?"
"Should I underline the date? You didn't underline it but it would help it stand out."
Did I do a good job?"
"The nine you wrote on the chalkboard is really ugly and it's distracting me."
and, my personal favorite:
"Wassima says I'm a piece of trash."

I hope they are never wild things again. The good news is I saved twenty-five cents in reward stickers. And now I'm going to go play Diner Dash.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.