sky machines: French beard-growing contest

December 13, 2010

French beard-growing contest

 Hey, here are three photos of the last week.



Have you heard of Saint Beard? On December 4th in Provence, everyone puts some wheat in a bowl of cotton, and lets it germinate during the holidays. Then we gossip about wheat for three weeks - whose didn't sprout, whose is the tallest, who cheated by putting theirs on the radiator, and who tells the least-successful Saint Beard jokes.

The last one is me. While admiring our crop I asked my flatmates "Did Saint Beard invent the beard? Is that why we're celebrating?"

"No," they explained. "Beards just grow on faces on their own; no one invented them."
Sad clown noise.



And in other news, depending on your definition of news, I made this hideous tirelire for my sister. I can't remember the real word right now, but it's something you can put money in, and then throw in the trash when your sister goes back to France. I've been horrible at making things ever since I cut my finger on a tape dispenser in kindergarten, and refused to do crafts for the rest of the year because they were "too dangerous." I only cut myself three times while making this.



Our wheats are growing at a decent pace, which means next year will be full of good jokes and good beards and free of tape dispensers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.