sky machines: good tidings

December 13, 2010

good tidings

I met a student teacher during lunch today - she's French but wants to teach English in elementary schools. After finding out that I teach English, she asked what kind of training I had. I said absolutely zero. She got super uppity, which I understood, because she's a real teacher and I'm just a well-payed babysitter that loves talking about colors.

But then she started randomly dropping English words. Like "I studied English in college and got a Master's in it." with the word studied in English. And I thought that was strange. Because yes she's better at teaching, but why was she getting catty about knowing the word studied?

"So," she said, "where did you learn English?"
"How did I learn English?"
"Yeah, where did you learn to speak English?"

I explained that I'm American; it's my first language. And she said she had thought I was French. After that entire conversation. Which can mean only one of two things:

1. I AM AWESOME AT SPEAKING FRENCH!
2. Everyone got drunk at lunch again.

I want it to be the first, but unfortunately the second happens almost every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.