sky machines: If you're happy and you know it

December 4, 2010

If you're happy and you know it

Yesterday, armed with smiling and frowning flashcards, I attempted to teach a group of 5-year-olds to say "I'm happy." I secretly had a second goal that no one would bite anyone, but I didn't want to get ahead of myself.



"I'm happy." I said, holding up a flashcard. "Now you say it."

Yellow! Blue! I like gorillas! Your hair is beautiful! Is it Thanksgiving again? Can we dance? How do you say pink? Can I keep those flashcards? He said a swear word! I had a hamster and it died!

"Those are all great comments guys. Let's try this again. Repeat: I'm happy."

And finally something clicked with the boy on the edge of the bench. He grinned at me, threw his hands in the air, and shouted "I'M HAPPY!" with a perfect accent. His classmates stared at him in stunned silence.

So he proudly translated for them: "It means 'I love you.'"

1 comment:

  1. Brooke, that is so cute! Your life should be a reality T.V. show. Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.