sky machines: hip hip hooray

January 21, 2011

hip hip hooray

A lot of things about my life right now might be more cheerful than most people's. Like when I pack my things in the morning, they include glitter stickers, pictures of dogs, and Yo Gabba Gabba music. I'm greeted with hugs, and I spend every day talking about colors and singing.

But there are some downers.

Yesterday while we were drawing pictures of our families, a stressed out little girl showed me a page already completely filled with portraits. She had three siblings, two half-siblings, and nine cousins. "Do I have to draw my grandparents?" she asked? "They're dead, and I'm out of space anyway." If there is a way to say "passed away" in French, kids do not use it. I told her she was fine.

"Oh no!" shrieked the girl next to her. "We weren't supposed to draw dead people? My mom's dead, but I drew her anyway, just because I miss her so much. Do I have to start over?" I told her that she had done an amazing job, and that it was a beautiful picture of her mom. And that everyone could draw any family members they wanted.

A boy heard us from across the room, and came over to show off his solution. "My dad's dead," he explained, "So I drew his face and then crossed it out!"

Who wants a glitter sticker?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. How do you respond to a kid that says that? I would have failed.

    ReplyDelete

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.