sky machines: my mom's going to make blueberry pancakes

January 25, 2011

my mom's going to make blueberry pancakes

Here is the funny thing about teaching in France: I have no teaching experience. And I've never tried to hide that, from the program or my schools or teachers. I tell them all the time that my only experience with English is speaking it, and my only qualification for working with kids is that my favorite food is candy.

My actual job title is "assistant," to a real English teacher. But for me and all the other assistants I know, that's somehow been interpreted as teaching classes to 400 kids a week, and doing all the lessons completely on my own. So, I'm just making this teaching thing up as I go along. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If it works half the time I consider that a success. The kids like it, the teachers never complain, and sometimes I'm excellent. (Especially in kindergarten. I'm a natural with five-year-olds.)

Until today, when one teacher stopped me as I walked into her class and told me she had some news.

"I've been talking with some of the other teachers," she said "and a lot of us don't want you to come to our classes anymore."

"Oh, ok." I said, somewhat taken aback by what sounded more like a 14-year-old not inviting me to her birthday party than a grown woman talking to a college student. "I see, English every week does take up a lot of time."


I was rarely invited to birthday parties as a child.

"No, it's not the time at all. The thing is, and it's nothing against you but, you're not a good teacher. In fact you're actually a really bad teacher."

"Alright, that's fair." I wondered why she had felt like she needed to add this, and why she hadn't said anything three months ago. "I've never taught before, and I'm only supposed to be an assistant, but if you're ok without my help that's no problem at all."

"Oh we're MORE than ok without your help." Oh my goodness why was she being so mean. "You just confuses the kids more - it's horrible."

I thanked her again, and didn't bother to remind her for the tenth time that I'm not a teacher. But if I had had more time to chat, say, two minutes and forty-eight seconds, I would have said this:



Then I got a crazy idea that no one wanted me anymore, and the principals would fire me and I would be sent back to the US with a frown-face stamp on my passport. But I went around and did a head count, and the rest of my teachers still definitely want me. Everyone else thought I did an awesome job today. And a boy with a bloody nose walked up to me right before I left and said, with excellent pronunciation: "Good morning, Brooke. I've got a bloody nose."

Granted, it was afternoon. But I don't think he has a horrible English teacher.

5 comments:

  1. She was obviously threatened by you. And you are obviously way to good for her...or her class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrible thing for her to say to you! I agree with above comment, she's probably jealous that the kids love you and actually listen to you. Screw her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like she was one of those grumpy ones who never wanted an assistant in the first place. The kids clearly love you, and you're making them love English! Isn't that the point of our job??? To make English accessible and fun?

    I think all your drawings and silly bands speak for themselves here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate that she made you feel badly about the work/job you are doing. I love that you were validated by the rest of the "real teachers". I only get the perspective of your blog...but I have a feeling you are doing an excellent job! I wish you could teach me French! That would be awesome. (And for the record, I wouldn't want that mean teacher to teach me anything.. elle est fou braque celui!) (I hope I'm not swearing when I say that.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sometimes feel that way at my school too. They have a good way of making you feel useless, and in your case verbalizing it. Lame. I really love this post. It's great. Glee and Gwyneth Paltrow's version of "Forget you" truly makes it all better!

    ReplyDelete

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.