sky machines: does such a sport exist?

April 8, 2011

does such a sport exist?

Nothing drives home how bad my French is like 400 children who speak way better than I do. It's not always their grammar or pronunciation, but it's the way they always know what word to use, and when, and I'm so jealous of them for it.

I was running in the neighborhood where my kids live the other day, and I saw almost a dozen of them. So the next day I was expecting to have several come up and say "I saw you running yesterday!" Instead ten kids stopped me in the hall and announce "I saw you doing sport yesterday!"

"Doing sport?" Why is your language so strange and how do you keep track of it all?

My only consolation is that maybe none of them were positive I was running. They decided to keep their options open with the verb "doing sport." Maybe I was playing a city-wide game of soccer, where one goal is the sea and the other is Aix-en-Provence. Maybe I had just gotten a text that the ball was over by the Castellane metro stop, and was racing six blocks to make it there before the other team's forward. Maybe.

1 comment:

  1. god, going to school is a nightmare sometimes because I'm like, "why is my french so bad compared to seven year olds?!" But yesterday was actually decent, but I totally feel you on the jealousy thing. Haha.

    ReplyDelete

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.