sky machines: at least the baby will have beautiful green eyes

September 27, 2011

at least the baby will have beautiful green eyes

A couple months ago in France I was having a perfectly normal afternoon where I found myself sitting in a park reading while a French man in this eighties was telling my why no Arabic people should be allowed in the country. He was just getting to the part where they will kill us all in our sleep when he stopped mid sentence with a gasp.

"You have green eyes. Why didn't I notice sooner that you have green eyes! Your eyes are the most beautiful thing in the world. And you have such a beautiful smile. Great, American teeth! All you need to do is start exercising a little..."

Maybe in someone else's life this would be the big turning point where they stopped eating a wheel of Brie with a jar of Nutella every morning for breakfast, but for me it wasn't.

No, if I were to have such a turning point it would have been a couple months earlier, when a woman thought I was pregnant. By that I don't mean she asked "When are you due?" or "Is it a boy or a girl" I mean she came up to me, rubbed my stomach, and told me the little munchkin was going to be the luckiest kid in the world to have a mom like me.

What do you say to people when this happens? There is no handbook for this.

3 comments:

  1. Since you are one of the tiniest people I know, I am totally baffled by this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time a Latvian told me I was fat (often), I bought chocolate. It was kind of like a drinking game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe anyone would mistake you for pregnant.

    ReplyDelete

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.