sky machines: you may already be a winner

September 29, 2011

you may already be a winner

So lately people have been celebrating their France-i-versaries. I'm never one to miss an opportunity to be two weeks late for something so here goes: a year and two weeks ago I showed up in Marseille, terrified of the sea, not fluent in French, and unaware that I had a penchant for rats and MacDo potatoes.

It still amazes me that I managed to move to the other side of the world, get a cell phone, sign a rent agreement, and find foods to eat. There were times when the internet didn't work and I couldn't call my sister at the time I said I would, when the metro shut down and I had to walk four hours, when the guy at the bad postcard office wouldn't sell me stamps because I was an American, the time I was sprinting through the alleys of Paris at 5:30 am with everything I own, but the point is - I kept myself alive for a year. Am I an adult?

2 comments:

  1. Good gracious, I feel the same way. We are definitely, definitely both adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Yes you are. Quite an amazing adult really! I just got to Spain 2 days ago and I'm hoping to keep myself alive too... I hope I'm adult enough for the task :) Thanks again for your advice awhile back, it helped a ton!

    ReplyDelete

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.