sky machines: Sixteen food facts

May 25, 2012

Sixteen food facts

Today I found this list of food stories from France in my notebook. I think I have more posts with the label "food" than all the rest combined. I always feel bad for people who click on "fashion" because it's just photos of bad hair days. That's what fashion is to me. Here's what food is to me:

FOUR NEW FOODS I TRIED AND LIKED
I know, it's really pathetic that I had never eaten these foods before.
1. Pineapple. I had never eaten pineapple before. Don't laugh. I didn't like the looks of it because the outside was spiky. I love pineapple.
2. Beans. Also had never eaten them. And they are delicious.
3. Goat cheese. No excuses. Goat cheese is my favorite food, meal, beverage, song, place, and person.
4. Peanuts. peanuts are fine.

FOUR NEW FOODS I TRIED AND DIDN'T LIKE
I told you I didn't want to try it.
1. Cooked carrots. I've been avoiding them for 15 years. Why do such a horrible thing to such a delicious vegetable.
2. Raw salmon. Probably because the day I ate it I already was sick.
3. Chicken skin. Probably because the first piece I tried had little hairs coming out of the skin.
4. Pine-tree-flavored things. Probably because it's a car air-freshener scent, not a flavor.

FOUR FOODS I LIKE MORE THAN BEFORE
Or, foods that are ruined forever when I move back to the US.
1. Tomatoes. Tomatoes are different here. They're always red on the inside, never pink, and they're never nasty and soft. I eat tomatoes like apples.
2. Applesauce. Here its just sauce, you can have pearsauce, strawberrysauce, rhubarbsauce.
3. Orange soda. I know that is kind of weird. but it's really big here.
4. Eggs. Eggs eggs eggs.

FOUR FOODS I MISS
Shipping is so expensive.
1. Cereal. There is a ton of cereal in France and I'm sure it's all delicious, but it's all made with barley malt flour so I can't eat it. I miss cereal a lot.
2. Salsa. And all Mexican food. I went to a Cape Verdian party where there was a tomato and onion side dish. Basically just a punch bowl of salsa to eat plain, no chips no anything. "You don't have to try that if you don't want to, it's an acquired taste" everyone said. I had three servings. 
3. Normal milk. That is refrigerated. I'm drinking this crazy-long-shelf-life milk and I'm not complaining, but it's giving me the heeby-jeebies. Apologies for the spelling of that word, it's the first time I've typed it and I've never said it out loud.
4. Hot chocolate you mix with water. Only because the kind you mix with milk grows a skin and that is tooo naaaasty for wooooords.

1 comment:

  1. I adore French tomatoes too. They really are so scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.