sky machines: girls LOVE soup

June 15, 2012

girls LOVE soup

I was talking with someone who hates Zooey Deschanel the other day. She mentioned her latest iPhone commercial and made a good point. The one where she looks out the window and asks “Is that RAIN?” and it’s obviously pouring, and here is the point: Zooey Deschanel is dumb. Maybe not in real life, but her persona is extremely dumb. She hides it with vintage dresses and a shield of bangs and my friend says she makes girls look bad. Here is the commercial in case you're wondering what the weather's like and you love pajamas:




But, I don’t think this is such a bad thing for girls. Does every portrayal of girls need to be good? Do we need to relate to every single girl character? I don’t think boys relate to every boy character. I've never heard a boy complaining that the Pillsbury Dough Boy makes all men look pasty and obsessed with shortbread.



An M&M has eyelashes and suddenly it’s a girl and I need to question its motives and wonder if it reads those tedious intellectual parts of the New Yorker no one reads or just the comics and is it a good portrayal of girls. Non-eyelash M&Ms can run the gamut of personalities and I don’t hear boys freaking out about it. Just a thought. Another thought: maybe if there were more “girl” M&Ms there wouldn’t be so much pressure for them to all be good role models. Also, why eyelashes? Boys have eyelashes too. I’d like to see an M&M in a Justin Bieber t-shirt. Now I want some M&Ms. Is that RAIN?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.