sky machines: thanks for coming

January 16, 2011

thanks for coming

It's a tour of my new apartment!

Let's start with this sweet mural not far from the entrance to my building. How cute is it? I don't know if this building used to be a library or what. But I really love it.



Congratulations, if you've been looking at the mural this long, you no longer have your wallet. Welcome to Marseille, sucker!
And in we go.





Kitchen, featuring precious drawings my kids made me and lots of Nutella. And a party bag of M&Ms thanks to my sister!







Desk, featuring map of Minnesota and surrounding areas. I really never planned on putting that up but I am hurting for decorations. Everyone says the little triangle flags look like they belong at a Halloween party. And they haven't even seen what they look like when you're reading Stephen King books in the middle of the night. Luckily the x-ray makes the whole thing less creepy. I'm planning on setting out a vase full of bloody knives later, to make it a little more homey.

My tack board has souvenirs of cool things I've done in Marseille so I don't get homesick. And then there's the picture of my family, so I do get homesick. Fun activity - looking back and forth between the two until I'm dizzy.





Plants on my windowsill. Hannah and I got them for cheap at a flower market! It said not to put them in direct sunlight, and the windowsill obviously gets almost constant direct sunlight. But extra sunlight never hurt anyone. Kind of like my favorite stuffed animals that got extra love, the ones that are now nothing but scraps of fabric. The point is I'm taking a photo of these plants because they won't be alive in a week.



For those of you that have been tired of all these words and would like some numbers, you're in luck:

Number of stairs: 7. or 8. I'm not much of a math person.
Number of days I've lived in this apartment: 2
Number of times I've fallen down these stairs: 29
Number of cuts: 4
Number of rugburns: 8
Number of rugs: 0
Number of times the wind has been knocked out of me: 1

Good thing trips to the hospital are free in this country, because I'm sure I will be visiting it a lot.



And at the top of those stairs, my little bathroom. Complete with Marseille soap. And all the other things a bathroom needs. Except a toilet.



And bed, with Stephen King books and notebooks. Check out this sweet Twins bookmark. My little sister made it, can you believe it?





Goodbye Flowers. I don't know if heatstroke or Halloween-decoration-induced paranoia will get to you first.

9 comments:

  1. God, what a good-looking apartment. I'm looking forward to the knife display.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing you don't have vertigo. Great apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i kind of love your apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your apartment is so. much. cleaner than mine. you've inspired me, tomorrow I am going to sort my life out. First step, dusting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeaaaloous! What an adorable apartment. I long for windows that actually open instead of dormer windows that half-heartedly vent, and for non-slanted ceilings. I'm surprised I haven't given myself a concussion yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. brooke, this is so qyoooot!
    also, i LOL'd at the rug burn part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute place--I love that it is filled with light and even though it's small, it looks very charming! So glad you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salut! Hey I applied to the same teaching assistant program and I gotta know, how in the world did you find your apartment?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, thanks guys! You're all invited to come visit! And the bloody knives are here ready to welcome you.

    ReplyDelete

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.