sky machines: concentrate and ask again

August 26, 2011

concentrate and ask again

At the risk of being vague, I'm going to start out by saying that yesterday I was chosen for something after a requirement was given that the selected person needed to be female.

It reminded me of George Clooney (as things often do), what he said the last time he won People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive - that he's usually only nominated for "Sexiest Man Alive who has Played both a Doctor and Batman." Only he was joking and I'm not.

You probably remember this from the papers, but I'll refresh your memory. In 7th grade I won the gold medal in Music Olympics, a local music theory competition done in the style of worldwide sports in a last-ditch effort to make kids care about key changes. And I didn't win gold in the "White Kid" division or the "Kids with a Speech Impediment" bracket. I straight up won gold in Music Olympics. And when the other kids were like how did you do that, I was like, let's just say I know a thing or two about chord progressions. And this trophy matches my braces. Check it.

Not that yesterday was on par with Music Olympics. Please. Not that anything ever will be. And not that I'm looking to ever receive that kind of recognition again. I definitely racked up more than a life's worth that day. But from now on, will I only succeed in things when we're looking for a successful girl? Does three quarters of the group need to be ignored in order for me to be even somewhat interesting?

 

I went home. I ate my daily bag of cheap American candy (how I've missed you.) I read all George Clooney interview's from in 1997. And then I remembered : this is why I came to LA. To shoot up the idea that I need special paramaters, and to cover that idea's corpse in raccoon urine, set it on fire, and walk off into the sunset while the embers are burning and "The Final Countdown" is playing.

Or to work in the advertising. I keep getting the two mixed up.

1 comment:

  1. Every time I read your blog I think "I wish I wrote that"

    ReplyDelete

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.