sky machines: Changes color in sun!

October 3, 2011

Changes color in sun!

TIME MACHINE POST

Look out world - it's April, it's sunny, and my skin is changing color. And there are four hundred French children that have four hundred questions about it.

This isn't the first time my genetics have fascinated French children. I have a freckle on my arm that kindergarteners try to lick for good luck. I have done everything in my power to discourage this, including wearing sweaters in extreme heat, and doing a lot of dancing where my arms are above my head, but I think the fact that it's hard to get to makes it even luckier.

Anyway, color-changing skin freaks people here out.



Alright, admittedly it's kind of freaking me out too.

French people do not seem to tan. They start out dark, or they tan very slowly, or they don't consider 80 degrees warm enough and constant sunlight sunny enough for skin to get darker.

Are you wearing make-up?
Have you been on vacation?
BEACH? (This one was in English! Accompanied by putting both his hands behind his head and smiling happily.)
Oh, you've put on some tanning cream?
The fake tan looks great on you!

Why is my skin changing color? Because we live on the Mediterranean. The weather here is pretty-close-to-literally tropical. No one believes me until I show them my watch tanline. Then they say "Wow!" which means "So she isn't lying, she's just some freak of nature."

And yes, that makes licking me even more enticing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.