sky machines: especially if the cheetah also had leather pants

August 5, 2013

especially if the cheetah also had leather pants

What did you do this weekend? I ran a relay. It was 216 miles, plus some decimal.

I am not the best runner but the other people on my team were. One had their pelvis crushed by a truck but it somehow healed and they are still running marathons. The other runners were all equally impressive but did you read that part about the truck?





In a relay you all take turns so when you're not running, you're driving in a van full of runners to the next exchange so you can swap runners. While you're driving you can eat whatever snack foods you want. Here's how it went down:

When it was my turn to run (I was last) I ran six miles. Super fast because I was so excited!

Then, while the other half of our team was running, we drove to a high school gym where hundreds of us were taking 90-minute naps on cots in semi-darkness and I thought "I am in a dark room with hundreds of insane people" over and over and I hardly slept at all. 

Then we got back in the van and I ran another six miles in the dark with a flashlight and the stars were so beautiful there were veins of galaxies swirling around them. 

Then we drove to a campsite and while the other van was running I slept for 90 minutes in the front seat of the van sweating even though I was cold. 

We woke up and it was so beautiful and all of us were vomiting from exhaustion and we got back on the road.

When it was noon I ran another six miles, promising to myself that when this was done I would buy a Rascal and never move again. And then we were done and it was so amazing and I got a ton of free quercetin samples and I wish I could do a relay every weekend.







The roads we ran on were unmarked so there was no way to know if you'd run ten feet or ten miles. It felt like running in the middle of the ocean until you got to the "One Mile Left" sign at the end of every leg, and the "One Mile Left" sign was the Best Sign Ever. 

Because, as people on my team kept saying, "You can do anything for a mile." And that felt pretty true. Even if I were tired or wearing leather pants, I could probably run a mile from a cheetah. I could walk a mile barefoot to a pharmacy to get bandaids if I had cut my hand while slicing an apple again, because I always put my thumb under the apple and hope for the best. I could skateboard a mile, even though skateboarding is something I've never done but always assumed I'm a natural at. You can do anything for a mile.

But then my friends in the van started getting a bit more generous with what "you" can do. When one of us was feeling exhausted but had a 3-mile leg coming up things suddenly escalated to "You can do anything for three miles." And then later, completely unprovoked, I heard a "You can do anything for six miles." Stop right there.

There are only a few things I can do for six miles and running is barely one of them. I can't even look at Instagram on my phone on the bus for six miles. Six miles is a really long distance, and I ran that distance three times in two days on very little sleep. I love sleep. I did a crazy thing this weekend and it was the best weekend ever.



Things I can eat for 216 miles:
trail mix made entirely of seven different kinds of chocolate
chia bars
strange and delicious hummus that made us all sick
two thousand carrots
antioxidants dipped in chocolate
an island's worth of bananas with very fancy peanut butter
Greek yogurt chips
handfuls of turkey slices
more of that hummus

2 comments:

  1. You were the perfect relay team member- the "baton" wrist-band was practically not sweaty at all every time you handed it to me :) You captured the insanity, adventure, and fun of 2 am dust and hummus. Robin and Britton know how to pack a lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe. This is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

I had to add a captcha because one of my posts has the word "Google" in it and it was attracting spam robots like some sort of honey-covered robot magnet.